Oral diseases are common in dogs and cats, and can cause significant pain and discomfort for your pet. Even worse, these diseases can also lead to more serious health complications if not treated on time. In this article we will introduce you to 5 common oral diseases in dogs and cats and how to prevent them.
1. Plaque and tartar: Dogs and cats are prone to plaque and tartar, which can cause gum infections and dental pain. The best way to prevent plaque and tartar is to maintain good oral hygiene by brushing your pet’s teeth regularly and using specially designed croquettes and chewing toys to help clean teeth.
2. Dental caries: Dental caries are also common in dogs and cats, and can be caused by a diet rich in sugar and starch. To prevent tooth decay, it is important to monitor your pet’s diet and give it quality foods that are low in sugar and starch.
3. Gum diseases: Gum diseases are common in dogs and cats, and can cause pain and bleeding of the gums. To prevent gum disease, it is important to maintain good oral hygiene by brushing your pet’s teeth regularly and using chewing toys to strengthen the gums.
4. Dental fractures: Dental fractures are common in dogs and cats, especially in animals that like to chew hard objects. To prevent dental fractures, it is important to monitor the objects your pet is chewing and give them appropriate chewing toys.
5. Dental cysts: Dental cysts are benign tumours that can develop in your pet’s teeth. They can cause pain and infection, and must be treated quickly. To prevent dental cysts, it is important to monitor your pet’s teeth regularly and consult a veterinarian if you notice any changes in your pet’s teeth.